Ready to be that guy/gal at the party or cook-out who can rightfully pull the “Mic Drop” move when your dish is served? Ever dreamed of serving up pulled pork so lusciously moist and delicious that nobody wants to even bother with BBQ sauce?
Your time, my friend, has come! Oh, you WILL need remote thermometer! Temperature is king, time is only a generic guideline. If you want a consistently awesome product, you will need to abide by temperature points not time in the smoker.
What you’ll need (for a 5~6 pound pork shoulder, adjust as needed):
- 1 bottle Porcus Infernum, gourmet bacon hot sauce (mild)
- 1/4 tsp imitation butter flavoring (such as McCormick)
- Thai Dry, Sriracha inspired dry rub
- 1/4 C apple juice
- 1/8 C apple cider vinegar
- Pork shoulder
- Meat injector
- Cooler(s) or ice chest(s) large enough to hold your pork butt(s) and seal tightly.
- The night before you fire up the smoker, thoroughly mix the bottle of Porcus Infernum and imitation butter flavoring. If you have one of the first generation bottles of Porcus that has seeds, strain it before mixing.
- Meticulously inject the meat with the Porcus & butter blend, minimizing the number of holes you put in the meat (re-inject the needle 2~4 times from the same entry hole, changing the angle each time). Stop when liquid begins easily starts leaking from the holes. To minimize the mess, work over a baking pan.
- Place shoulder in non reactive container, cover with stretch wrap or something of the sort, and place in fridge overnight.
- 30 minutes to an hour before firing up your smoker, remove meat from fridge and cover with a light coat of Voodoo Chile’s Thai Dry seasoning. Do NOT let the heat of this product scare you! A great deal of the heat from that rub will render off, and what does remain will be so thoroughly mixed in with the final pulled pork that it will only provide an enjoyable zip!
- If possible, place a large dish of water in your smoker, preferably under the grate where you’ll be placing the meat!
- Warm your smoker to 225F to 250F.
- Place a thermometer into the deepest part of your pork shoulder, and then place the shoulder in your smoker, far side down (if not trimmed off).
- Maintain the 225~250F temperature range as tightly as possible until the thermometer reads 165F (approx. 4~6 hours)
- Gently remove your pork shoulder, leaving the thermometer in place, and place atop two layers of aluminum foil.
- Pull the 2 layers of foil up up to form a basin or a “cup” and then pour the apple juice and cider vinegar.
- Wrap the entire butt with TWO large pieces of aluminum foil, sealing as tightly as possible.
- Placed wrapped shoulder back into the 225~250F smoker, and continue smoking until the thermometer reads 195F. (approx. 2 more hours) Please note that a “stall” is very likely to occur somewhere around 175F degrees … this is normal, don’t fret … the temperature will resume its move upwards in time.
- Once the internal temp reaches 195F, carefully remove the aluminum foil wrapped butt(s), from the smoker, being careful to also LEAVE the thermometer in place, and gently place in the cooler / ice chest, making sure to not tear the foil.
- Monitor the remote thermometer sensor frequently until the internal temperature of your pork returns to 160~165F.
- Remove from cooler, unwrap, and begin to carefully pull the pork shoulder to your like, making sure not to burn yourself as the meat will still be piping hot. Make sure the outer “crust” that was dry rubbed is thoroughly mixed in with the meat.
In short, you inject it the night before, you smoke it at 250F until it reaches 165F, then wrap it (with some juice/vinegar), smoke it until it reaches 195F, and then let it rest and cool down in a closed ice chest until it comes back down to 165F. Our final product has consistently been absolutely amazing, and the feedback we receive from some very experienced BBQ aficionados has been fantastic!
That’s it … inject, marinate, hold smoker at 250F using the formula: 165-wrap-195-remove-165-pull.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at INFO@vcss.co
- Buy Now! PORCUS INFERNUM, $6.99
- Buy Now! THAI DRY Regular shaker, 69g $5.99 (reg. $6.99)
- KILLER COMBO! 3 (three!) Porcus Infernum, 1 Thai Dry only $18.64 (33% OFF!!!!!)